Monday, June 6, 2016

No- Sew Kitchen Binder DIY

Every family knows the struggle of keeping the kitchen organized, especially with multiple people who "fend for themselves" outside of the scheduled meals or snack often. How does one person keep a kitchen organized? One option would be the be a stay-at-home den mom. Not really plausible currently for us and even for those who stay-at-home, I can imagine getting burnt out quickly trying to clean up after multiple people (I know I do).

The alternative and much more realistic option I thought of seemed like a better idea. A kitchen binder. A binder that is kept in the kitchen and used to help make groceries, meal planning, and such easier to manage.

I'd had this revelation while I was walking a local Walgreen's and wandered to their clearance (yay seasonal changes). I spotted an ugly yellow binder on clearance for a great price. $0.50 to get more organized? I'll take it.

So I got home and I set it on the table, was I really going to look at this yellow trapper every day for as long as I can remember? Um... no. But what to do? I glanced over to my plan for the day... I did need yarn and it was a Monday. Craft store it is. I jumped in the car and headed out to Hobby Lobby in my town.

Fabric was very likely going to be the answer to my problem. Lucky enough on the wall of fabric I found it. A Kitchen themed fabric, 30% off, and I knew exactly how much to get. So I'm going to share with you how I made this happen:

No- Sew Kitchen Organizer

Supplies:
1 Binder (what ever you have on hand. I used a clearance one with no pockets on the inside)
1/2 yard of fabric of choice
Duck Tape in coordinating color
Scissors

1. First I laid out the fabric (no need to prewash since this is going to stay on the same binder) to measure and trimmed so it was about an inch around for me to play with. Make sure pattern is straight if it matters with the pattern on the fabric you chose.

2. Cut at the corners, I went diagnally from the point in the fabric to the point on the binder. Also cut at the bind of the binder at each point it bends.

3. At this point you can start folding and taping. Starting from the long side. Fold in the points and lay the fabric on the inside of the binder for both sides of the binder. You do the opposite side after that, pulling as tight as the single strip of duck tape will allow.


At this point the corners will look like this.


4. After that I trimmed the points at the corner to make them a little more manageable for me. Folded in and then folded over to the inside, like I did with the top and bottom and tape. Repeat for the other side.

5. After that is done, you want to worry about the little bit by the trapper part. I folded that fabric into 3rds before taping.

6. Now to make it pretty. I cut strips of the duck tape to lay horizontally before framing those with another layer of duck tape around the edges. Should end up like this or similar. Use your judgement here.


And Viola you have your own No-Sew Kitchen Binder! Now fill it with important papers. What I did was a weekly and monthly menu planner in clear plastic sleeves. Then there is a list of recipes to try so I have that in one place while I'm planning. Followed by a list of inventories for the Kitchen, Pantry, Refridgerator, and Freezer. This binder will also hold the recipes I plan to use for that week in clear plastic sleeves.

I tried dry erase markers on the plastic sleeves, but I'm going to be picking up some wet erase as it is less likely to wipe away notes that I need or the menu until I'm ready to. I got my planners from Clean Mama Printables - Etsy Store. They work wonderfully and I'm very excited to get this kitchen under control to make the final move easier.


Share your finished binders in the comments! I'd love to see them. And until next time, Blessed Be.

No comments:

Post a Comment